Here are some basic tips of DOs and DON’Ts on how to create a customer service culture within your organization, in particular I highlight behaviour that needs to be exhibited to achieve superior service and also what management can do to entrench the culture in the organisation.
Indicate your intent of providing superior customer service every time you can, in your monthly newsletters to staff, your email signature, your vision and values, company policies and procedures.
Examples of suitable messages:
- Our objective is to grow through excellent customer service and delivery of high quality products & services:
- Provide excellent customer service
- Supply quality products and services
- Grow the business for the benefit of customers, employees and shareholders
- If we don’t take care of our customers, someone else will.
Reward staff according to customer feedback and quality of service provided
Regularly survey customers on Customer Service
Display posters with the customer service strategy and messages.
- “I call you back” – call the customer back if you have said so.
- “I will get back in touch” – get back in touch, and if can’t within a reasonable timeframe, call back to update customer as to why you haven’t yet got back to him/her.
- Escalate problem to management if a problem is not solved within a reasonable timeframe or as expected by the customer.
- Don’t let phones ring more than 3 times.
- Treat customers like guest at your home.
- Go the extra mile: Deliver more than what the customer was expecting – that will create further opportunities and positive feedback from the customer.
- Empathy – Develop interest and understanding for the pain the customer is suffering… see the customer’s problem from their perspective.